BARRON’S Essential Words for the TOEFL 7th Includes the TOEFL‘s 500 most frequently encountered words to help you expand your English vocabulary.
- Features a sample practice reading test with the answer key to help you assess your mastery of TOEFL vocabulary.
- It provides advice on getting the most out of your dictionary and thesaurus.
- It contains practical strategies to help you learn and retain word meanings.
- Extensive vocabulary practice exercises help test your word knowledge
Download BARRON’S Essential Words for the TOEFL 7th Edition (PDF+Audio)
The BARRON’S Essential Words for the TOEFL 7th Edition book provides a decent starting point for those whose vocabulary repertoires are not advanced. I compared the vocabulary in this book with those in other similarly rated TOEFL books/box sets and found that 90% of the words in this did not appear in others. The words in this book were considerably easier, and only a few upper-level vocabulary words coincided with those in other materials. Just as examples, words or phrases such as “atypical,” “preclude,” “with regard to,” were not explained here (and only half the time in other books), but appeared on the exam. That said, this book is still useful for those whose vocabulary are limited. If you don’t know the words in this book, this is a good starting point. They commonly show up in daily life.
As for the format, after a relatively long intro to the exam, book, and how to study, the lessons begin (totaling 30 lessons) with approximately 17 words each lesson. They are short and provide some exercises after.
This book undoubtedly helped me with the dreaded TOEFL exam. Its up-to-date exercises, model essays, and in-depth vocabulary review gave me the knowledge and confidence necessary to pass my test. Beyond that, it remains a helpful guide to retain those essential words necessary to master fluent language. It’ll always have a place on my bookshelf, and I couldn’t be happier with this pick, among the several manuals out there.
I recommend this book to all my TOEFL students. This summary perfectly reflects the sophisticated low-frequency vocabulary needed for the TOEFL and it’s mixed with high-frequency words to create a rounded set of vocabulary. However, as a student, don’t expect to read this book in a week or two and have memorized all words. It takes a lot of practice and repetition to remember and use these words naturally.
BARRON’S Essential Words for the TOEFL 7th Edition
This revised book is specifically designed for ESL students preparing to take the TOEFL and features updated vocabulary that is seen most often on the exam. It includes:
- Phrases and “purpose” words (for example, define, discuss, claim, etc.) that are used in the speaking and writing sections of the test
- New words and phrases, since you are often asked to explain the meaning of a phrase
- Lists of vocabulary words with definitions, sample sentences, and practice exercises for 500 need-to-know words
- Detailed advice to help students expand their English language vocabulary, and more
Students can test their mastery of TOEFL vocabulary by taking the included practice test with the answer key, which is designed to help students evaluate their progress, and increase confidence in their vocabulary skills.