Get into Your Dream College with The Best ACT Prep Courses – Boost Your Score and Stand Out from the Crowd!
Getting into the college of your dreams is tougher than ever, and your ACT score could be the make or break factor in your application. Nearly half of all test-takers retest on the ACT because of low initial scores, but why leave it to chance?
With so many ACT prep courses on the market, it can be hard to choose the right one. But fear not, we’ve got you covered! Our team of experts has reviewed and ranked the top 10 ACT prep courses to help you make an informed decision and boost your score. Stand out from the crowd and give yourself the best chance of getting into the best colleges in the U.S. Read on to discover which prep course is right for you!
Top 10 ACT Prep Courses
Prepare for the ACT exam with top courses! Our handpicked list features both free and paid options to help you succeed. Get access to practice questions and materials today.
- The Princeton Review
- Prep Expert
- ACT Official
- ClearPath Advantage
The Princeton Review ACT Prep Course
- The Princeton Review offers a range of programs, including self-paced, virtual, in-person, and 1:1 tutoring options, providing flexibility and customization for students.
- Regardless of the program, students can access valuable ACT prep materials, including full-length and single-section practice exams, on-demand video lessons, practice questions, and a user-friendly dashboard to track progress and maintain focus.
- The programs with a live class component feature tight lesson plans and solid instructors, providing highly engaging and interactive instruction.
- The Princeton Review has a deep bench of instructors and tutors with an extensive range of educational experience as well as top ACT scores, which can benefit students in their preparation.
- The Princeton Review’s ACT curriculum is thorough and effective, covering every testable topic, and their problem explanations are insightful yet actionable.
- The course prep books offer true value, providing additional resources and learning materials.
- The Princeton Review is one of the pricier ACT prep courses on the market, which may not be within reach for all students.
- The course question bank could benefit from more practice problems to provide students with additional opportunities to practice and reinforce their learning.
Overall, The Princeton Review Course offers a comprehensive and effective ACT prep program with various course options and valuable learning materials. However, the high cost may be a barrier for some students, and the limited practice problems may also be a drawback.
Kaplan ACT Prep Course
Kaplan ACT Prep Course is an online program designed to help students prepare for the ACT exam. Here are some of the pros and cons based on the given information:
- Kaplan is used by ACT.org, the official provider of the ACT, which indicates its reliability and effectiveness.
- Kaplan offers both scheduled and self-paced learning options, as well as a premium online tutoring option, providing flexibility and convenience for students.
- Kaplan has a high rating on Trustpilot based on thousands of reviews, indicating its popularity and effectiveness.
- Kaplan offers Live Online ACT prep courses on a variety of days and times, including weekends, making it easier for students to fit it into their busy schedules.
- Kaplan uses a team approach to teaching their online classes, with one instructor leading the lesson and others available in a live chat to answer questions, providing extra help without slowing down the rest of the class.
- Kaplan’s Live Online ACT prep course focuses on reviewing ACT subject content, with instructors integrating test-taking tips and strategies into the lessons.
- Kaplan offers a free live online sample class that allows students to test-drive the class before enrolling.
- Kaplan provides strong and realistic practice problems that can help students prepare for the actual exam.
- Students only have access to course materials for six months after their class, instead of a whole year, which may not be sufficient for students who plan to retake the exam or want to study at their own pace.
- Kaplan does not offer a money-back score increase guarantee, which may make some students hesitant to invest in the program.
- The conversational approach to ACT instruction may not be for everyone, as some students may prefer a more traditional teaching style.
Overall, Kaplan ACT Prep Course is a popular and reliable option for students who are preparing for the ACT exam. However, it may not be suitable for everyone, and students should carefully consider their options before investing in the program.
PrepScholar ACT Prep Course
PrepScholar Course is an ACT prep program that uses algorithms to customize lessons based on students’ individual strengths and weaknesses. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- PrepScholar uses algorithms to analyze students’ progress and customize lessons based on what subjects and skills students need to improve, providing a tailored and efficient learning experience.
- The program starts with a diagnostic test that assesses students’ current abilities and recommends subsequent lessons based on their progress, providing a structured and effective coursework structure.
- The Complete ACT Online Prep course has over 60 hours of content, including video lectures, practice quizzes, and answer review sections, covering key ACT subject areas as well as test-taking strategies.
- PrepScholar offers over 4300 practice questions with detailed video or text answer explanations, as well as six practice exams to help students reinforce their learning.
- PrepScholar maintains the largest bank of ACT questions, totaling nearly 5,000 questions as of 2021, which can benefit students in their preparation.
- Interested students can take part in a free ACT consultation to learn about available courses, providing an opportunity to explore the program before investing in it.
- To access individual tutoring, students must choose the Complete + Tutoring package, which is more than double the cost of the Complete ACT Online Prep course, limiting access to personalized tutoring for some students.
- Some learning modules lack video lectures, making some lessons a bit dry, which may not be engaging for all students.
- The program interface could be updated to match the actual ACT testing interface to provide students with a more accurate simulation of the test.
Overall, PrepScholar Course offers a customized and effective ACT prep program that can benefit students with various learning needs. However, the limited access to personalized tutoring, some dry lessons, and the program interface could be improved.
Prep Expert ACT Course
Prep Expert ACT Course offers live online classes, a self-guided program, and an intensive weekend review course. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- Prep Expert’s Weekend Review course is ideal for students with a limited amount of preparation time or who want an intensive review before the ACT exam. The course is offered every weekend before an official ACT testing date and covers a wide range of ACT test-taking strategies, as well as content review in the ACT’s subject areas of English, Reading, Math, Science, and Writing.
- Classes are interactive, allowing students to ask instructors any last-minute questions they may have about the content and structure of the ACT. Instructors are experienced and scored within the 99th percentile on the ACT.
- Prep Expert includes awesome test-taking strategies that are actionable and effective, making it a good fit for more advanced students seeking a top-tier score.
- Prep Expert provides a bootcamp-style, immersive prep experience with tons of prep work.
- Compared to some of Prep Expert‘s robust programs, like the Self-Paced Video or 6-Week Flagship course, the Weekend Review is more bare bones and does not include additional prep materials, practice exams, lessons, or drill questions.
- Prep Expert is one of the more expensive ACT prep courses around.
- Prep Expert does not include a score improvement guarantee with the Weekend Review course, which students may want to take into consideration.
Overall, Prep Expert ACT Course offers a solid option for students seeking live online classes, a self-guided program, or an intensive weekend review course. However, it may be more expensive than other ACT prep courses and may not provide as much direct substantive content review as some students may prefer.
ACT Official Prep Course
ACT Official Prep Course is an ACT prep program offered by the non-profit organization that administers the ACT exam. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- ACT Official Prep Course is free, making it accessible to students on any budget.
- By signing onto the ACT website, students can access a variety of test prep materials, including an official ACT practice exam and the official ACT Study Guide.
- The official practice exam online provides students with a score report that breaks down where they need improvement, giving them a clear idea of their strengths and weaknesses.
- The downloadable Study Guide includes an overview of the ACT format and process, test-taking strategies, practice questions for all sections, and an answer key.
- Additional prep materials, like quizzes, video lessons, and more practice exams, are provided by Kaplan in partnership with ACT.
- ACT and Kaplan also partner to offer free lessons, available on-demand or live online, taught by Kaplan instructors.
- The “Question of the Day” feature delivers an ACT question daily via email, providing students with additional practice and exposure to the test.
- The number of practice exams and questions is limited, and there is no personalized study guide, which may not be sufficient for some students who need more intensive preparation.
- ACT Official Prep Course does not provide any instructor interaction, which may be a drawback for students who benefit from personalized guidance and support.
Overall, ACT Official Prep Course provides a free and accessible option for students to prepare for the ACT exam, with a variety of test prep materials available. However, it may not be sufficient for students who need more intensive preparation or personalized guidance.
Magoosh ACT Prep Course
Magoosh ACT Prep Course provides a self-paced and affordable option for students to prepare for the ACT exam. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- Magoosh offers a marathon-style experience, providing a full year of access to their Self-Paced Premium program for just $129, or a little over $10 per month, making it one of the most affordable options available.
- Students get a personalized study schedule that takes into account their overall time for ACT preparation and how much time per week they can dedicate to studying.
- Magoosh provides over 250 video lessons covering all subjects on the ACT, over 1300 practice questions, and review text or video explanations for each question.
- Magoosh includes additional resources, such as flashcards, a mobile app, and a vocabulary workbook, to help students learn in a variety of ways.
- Magoosh provides tutor support electronically, allowing students to connect with tutors if they have questions or need additional support throughout the program.
- Magoosh may not be suitable for students who require external accountability and guidance, as it is best suited for self-motivated, independent learners.
- While Magoosh provides a suggested study schedule, it may not provide as much guidance as other ACT prep providers.
- Magoosh has limited practice material compared to other ACT prep providers.
Overall, Magoosh ACT Prep Course provides an affordable self-paced option for students to prepare for the ACT exam. However, it may not be suitable for students who require external accountability and guidance, and it may have limited practice material compared to other ACT prep providers.
Testive ACT Prep Course
Testive ACT Prep Course is a tutoring-based education company that offers several options for students to prepare for the ACT exam. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- Testive offers a Guided Study plan that combines on-demand, self-paced lessons with personalized attention and 1:1 check-in sessions with a tutor, providing a flexible yet supportive learning environment.
- The Guided Study plan also includes test review sessions with tutors for a more in-depth look at students’ strengths and weaknesses.
- Testive provides a free consultation to determine which program and tutor are right for each student, ensuring a personalized learning experience.
- Testive tutors have extensive experience in education and test prep, as well as top ACT scores.
- Testive offers flexibility in the length of prep time students get, with monthly packages available for 2-6 months, allowing students to tailor their preparation to their needs and schedule.
- Testive provides free practice tests with digital proctoring, allowing students to simulate the ACT testing experience and receive a score report.
- Testive’s tutoring-based programs can be expensive, with the Guided Study program starting at $998 for two months and potentially costing up to $3,564, limiting access to personalized tutoring for some students.
- Testive does not offer a score improvement guarantee, which may be a drawback for students seeking assurance of their investment.
Overall, Testive ACT Prep Course provides a personalized and supportive learning experience with its Guided Study plan, combining on-demand and 1:1 tutoring sessions. However, the high cost and lack of score improvement guarantee may be limiting factors for some students.
Achievable ACT Prep Course
Achievable ACT Prep Course offers a comprehensive digital textbook, hundreds of practice problems, and narrowly focused review sessions. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- Achievable’s digital textbook is broken down into 78 short, highly digestible units with excellent lessons. The language is conversational and makes it easier to understand more complicated concepts, making it a great fit for people who struggle with denser, wordier textbooks.
- Achievable’s smart, adaptive technology optimizes students’ study plans for ultimate efficiency, focusing on weak spots and periodically pulling old material back into review quizzes to keep the material fresh in students’ minds.
- Achievable provides an extremely affordable option at $129, the same as Magoosh.
- Achievable offers an infinite number of math problems that can be generated for endless practice.
- Achievable provides a built-in study planner to keep students on track.
- Achievable does not provide video lessons, printed books, or live classes, which may be a drawback for students who prefer a variety of content mediums.
- Achievable’s overall curriculum is lighter than other courses, which may not provide as much practice material or content variety.
Overall, Achievable ACT Prep Course provides an affordable and efficient option for students to prepare for the ACT exam. However, it may not provide as much content variety as other courses and may not be suitable for students who prefer a variety of content mediums.
Peterson’s ACT Prep Course
Peterson’s ACT Prep Course is an online self-paced course that offers 11 full-length ACT practice tests, over 900 written subject-based lessons, interactive content, step-by-step video tutorials, and online courses led by topic experts. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- Peterson’s ACT Prep Course is an affordable option for students on a budget, with each test prep program costing less than $50 a month.
- The course works on all mobile devices, tablets, and computers, making it accessible anywhere.
- Peterson’s offers access to all their other test prep materials, including their SAT materials and other AP class materials, which can be helpful for students taking multiple exams.
- Peterson’s offers written subject-based lessons and flashcards to help students drill down the material before taking the test.
- Peterson’s does not offer a free trial or a score guarantee, which may not be suitable for students who want to ensure a certain score improvement.
- Peterson’s does not have a set question bank, which may not provide as much practice material as some students may prefer.
- Peterson’s uses study guide content to teach the material, rather than video lessons, which may not be a good fit for students who prefer a variety of content mediums.
Overall, Peterson’s ACT Prep Course provides an affordable option for students seeking a self-paced course with access to multiple test prep materials. However, it may not be suitable for students who want a score guarantee or a set question bank, and may not provide as much video content as some students may prefer.
ClearPath Advantage ACT Prep Course
ClearPath Advantage ACT Prep Course offers online courses with small class sizes of three to four individuals to focus on developing a custom strategy for students. Here are some pros and cons based on the given information:
- ClearPath Advantage focuses on personalized attention with small group classes of three to four students or one-on-one tutoring programs to help students get the individualized attention they need.
- The course is highly interactive, with students and instructors communicating via a microphone, chat box, and whiteboard, and instructors are available outside regularly scheduled class hours to answer questions and provide assistance.
- ClearPath Advantage’s classes include 18 hours of live instruction, with classes meeting twice weekly for 90 minutes over six weeks, which allows students to absorb material while easily fitting into a busy schedule.
- Classes are highly focused and personalized, with students placed in small groups based on similar skill levels to ensure the pace of the class remains consistent.
- ClearPath Advantage’s prices may be cost-prohibitive for some students, with small group classes ranging from $2550 to $3175 and one-on-one tutoring programs ranging from $1850 to $2875.
- ClearPath Advantage does not offer a score improvement guarantee, which is standard among similarly priced programs.
- ClearPath Advantage does not include additional materials, like question banks or a mobile app, outside of homework assignments and practice tests.
Overall, ClearPath Advantage ACT Prep Course offers a solid option for students seeking personalized attention with small group classes or one-on-one tutoring programs. However, it may be more expensive than other ACT prep courses and may not provide as many supplementary materials or a score improvement guarantee as some students may prefer.
In conclusion, the ACT is a crucial exam for high school students aspiring to attend college, and choosing the right prep course can make a significant difference in their scores and college prospects. After reviewing the top 10 ACT prep courses, it is clear that each has its strengths and weaknesses, and the choice ultimately depends on the student’s individual needs and preferences.
For the best overall ACT prep course, Princeton Review stands out with its comprehensive curriculum, experienced instructors, and excellent student support. However, for those on a tight budget, ACT Official Prep is the most affordable option that still provides quality study materials.
PrepScholar offers the best practice material, which can be especially valuable for students who need extra practice in specific areas. Magoosh is the best budget-friendly choice, while Achievable is ideal for students who want to study efficiently and make the most of their time.
Kaplan is the safe choice for students who want a trusted and reputable provider, while Prep Expert is the best option for students who want to learn effective test-taking strategies. Finally, ClearPath Advantage provides the most personalized attention, which can be invaluable for students who need extra support and guidance.
Overall, the key to success on the ACT is to find a prep course that fits your learning style, budget, and goals. By considering the strengths and weaknesses of each of these top 10 ACT prep courses, you can make an informed decision and set yourself up for success on test day.