Collins Get Ready for IELTS Listening is the perfect book for lower-level learners who want to develop the necessary skills to perform effectively on the IELTS Listening test.
You can also read: IELTS Listening Strategies
Collins Get Ready for IELTS Listening (PDF+Audio)
This book will help you to recognize and understand differences in pronunciation and vocabulary. It includes a CD covering a number of business topics, spoken by both native and non-native speakers of English.
Who is this book for?
Get Ready for IELTS Listening has been written for learners with a band score of 3 or 4 who want to achieve a higher score. Using this book will help you improve your pre-intermediate listening skills for the IELTS Academic Listening test.
You can use Get Heady for IELTS Listening:
- As a self-study course. We recommend that you work systematically through the 12 units in order to benefit from its progressive structure.
- As a supplementary listening skills course for IELTS preparation classes. The book provides enough material for approximately 50 hours of classroom activity.
Get Ready for IELTS Listening Features
- This comprises a book and two CDs.
- The book contains 12 units. Each unit focuses on a different topic and these topics are ones that often appear in the IELTS exam.
- After every three units, there is a Review unit which helps you to revise the language and skills covered in the previous units.
- At the end of the book, the Practice test gives you the opportunity to take an IELTS-style test under test conditions.
- There is also a full answer key at the back of the book so you can check your answers. Here you will find suggested answers for more open-ended questions and model answers for the exam practice questions in Part 3 of the unit.
- The glossary at the back of the book lists the useful words from each unit with their Cobuild dictionary definitions.
- Two audio CDs accompany the book. These contain the listening exercises. When you see the listening icon please play the CD. CD1 features language at a pre-intermediate level speed and CD2 features language that is a little faster. This is to help you prepare for the speed that features in the IELTS test.
Each unit starts with the Aims of the unit. They outline the key language and skills covered.
Part 1: Language development provides exercises on vocabulary related to the topic as well as key grammar related to the IELTS Task covered in the unit. Clear structures are provided.
Part 2: Skills development provides step-by-step exercises and guidance on specific question types that appear in the test. There are explanations and examples that show you how to approach each question type. Useful tips are highlighted to help you develop successful test-taking strategies.
Part 3: Exam practice provides one exam practice question for either task 1 or task 2 in a format that follows the actual exam. You can use this to check whether or not you are ready for the test.
Finally, a checklist summarises the key points covered in the unit.
You can also read: Basic IELTS Listening (PDF+Aduio) Full