Grammar for Teachers is a Guide to American English for Native and Non-Native Speakers. You are going to love this book and learn a lot from it.
Grammar for Teachers
Updated and revised with more examples and expanded discussions, this second edition continues the aim of providing teachers with a solid understanding of the use and function of grammatical structures in American English. The book avoids jargon and presents essential grammatical structures clearly and concisely.
Dr. DeCapua approaches grammar from a descriptive rather than a prescriptive standpoint, discussing differences between formal and informal language, and spoken and written English. The text draws examples from a wide variety of authentic materials to illustrate grammatical concepts.
The many activities throughout the book engage users in exploring the different elements of grammar and in considering how these elements work together to form meaning. Users are encouraged to tap into their own, often subconscious, knowledge of grammar to consciously apply their knowledge to their own varied teaching settings.
The text also emphasizes the importance of understanding grammar from the perspective of English language learners, an approach that allows teachers to better appreciate the difficulties these learners face. Specific areas of difficulties for learners of English are highlighted throughout.
- Grammar is taught in an easy-to-understand and understandable manner to assist ESL/EFL teachers in understanding and explaining how English works.
- Throughout the book, there are discovery exercises for readers to study grammar issues on their own first, followed by conversations.
- Users can test their knowledge with additional practice tasks. Error analysis exercises allow students to practice detecting and explaining common ESL/EFL mistakes.
- The book is made relevant and entertaining by grammar analysis and debates based on true materials from the real world.
- The differences between formal and informal grammatical options are investigated, with a focus on usage in various settings.