IELTS Vocabulary For Academic Study will help you expand and develop the vocabulary skills you need to participate effectively and confidently in all academic situations.
IELTS Vocabulary For Academic Study
Each unit introduces you to key academic words and illustrates how to use information in a dictionary to gain more effective and appropriate use of vocabulary.
This book is intended for self-study outside the classroom and includes a complete answer key and an achievement test so that you can monitor your progress.
Vocabulary includes unit summaries to give you a quick overview of what you have covered, and a comprehensive glossary of terms.
This book can be used in conjunction with the following books in the English for Academic Study (EAS) series, also published by Garnet Education: EAS: Reading & Writing Source Book, EAS: Reading, EAS: Writing, EAS: Extended Writing & Research Skills, EAS: Speaking, EAS: Listening, EAS: Pronunciation, and EAS: Grammar for Writing.
Aims of The Course
This book has been designed with several aims in mind:
- to clarify what you need to know in order to use words correctly;
- to introduce over 450 keyword families and to provide you with extensive practice in their use;
- to clarify the type of information that dictionaries can give you on how to use words appropriately and effectively;
- and to provide you with practice in the use of dictionaries.
Although this book is intended for self-study outside formal classes, you should discuss with your teacher any problems you face in using the book. You will find this useful if you do not understand some of the terminologies, or if your answers do not match the ones in the answer key.
The units are based on the following topics:
- Multi-meaning words.
- Word classes – nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs Word families and word parts.
- Word grammar.