Download Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume 1 (PDF+Audio)
If you want to get a high score on official Toefl iBT, this is the best book you can get your self prepared. If you do all the tests in this book and repeat them until you are perfect on the timing then you will definitely score high. The tests in this book simulate the real TOEFL test questions and the format is the same as the real test. That’s the greatest
- These five actual retired TOEFL iBT® test forms contain authentic reading, listening, speaking, and writing questions. Each form includes an Answer Key and complete audio scripts. The TOEFL® test is the most respected English-language proficiency exam accepted by colleges, universities, and agencies around the world.
- The accompanying DVD-ROM provides interactive computer-delivered versions of all five tests, plus separate audio tracks for all test listening sections for readers who are working with the print version.
- Over 300 real TOEFL® questions from the test-makers.
- Real TOEFL® essay-writing prompts.
- Sample responses for Speaking and Writing questions.
- Computerized, interactive tests on DVD-ROM.
Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume 1 (PDF+Audio)
- Official TOEFL iBT Tests Volume 1: The bestselling collection of Official TOEFL iBT Tests from ETS, the makers of the test! Are you preparing to take the TOEFL test? Official TOEFL Tests, Volume I gives you all the tools you need to achieve your best score. This book from ETS contains five retired TOEFL test forms with authentic reading, listening, speaking, and writing questions, plus an answer key for each form. This third edition reflects all the latest changes and updates to the test.
- This book contains five actual retired TOEFL test forms with authentic reading, listening, speaking, and writing questions. Each form includes an Answer Key, sample responses for Speaking and Writing questions, and complete audio scripts. The TOEFL test is the most respected English-language proficiency exam accepted by colleges, universities, and agencies around the world. The accompanying DVD-ROM provides interactive, computer-delivered versions of all five tests, plus separate audio tracks for all listening sections for readers who are working with the print version.
First of all, this book is one of very few available resources from ETS which offer authentic TOEFL iBT questions – you penny-pinching ETS. So, no doubt that If you want to access those authentic questions and exams, you have no other way but buying it. There are five ‘real’ TOEFL iBT tests in the book; as you probably know the actual TOEFL iBT test contains some research/experimental sections on either the reading or the listening part – don’t expect to get those extra questions in this book/DVD. The book and specially the software on the accompanying DVD seem to have been prepared inattentively; the reasons are to follow.
- No scoring table is provided for any of the five tests. I mean there is no way you can at least estimate your final score. ETS has shown before, in their GRE books, if they want, they can share such tables with the reader. The software calculates the percentage of the correct answers, so shameful that it does so with a grain of miscalculation! I’ll get back to this point later. To be honest, lack of such tables is a minor issue and can be resolved by looking up some general scoring tables online.
- A more serious problem with the book is regarding its answer key, especially for the writing tasks. There is literally no sample essay for the writing tasks like the ones you get from the official guide book. It is rather confounding that the answer key simply ‘explains’ how you can write the essay or what points your essay should include for the given task. My experience tells me the current version of the answer key for the writing tasks is good for nothing! The same story holds for the speaking section, too.
The main problem (this is actually why I decided to write this review) is the interactive software on the DVD. It contains the five tests and somehow allows you to experience taking the test on a computer! Having all the tests on a DVD is a big plus for this book, but in reality it gives you a throbbing headache. Let me explain: the first time you install the software it works fine; aside from that the DVD gives your DVD-ROM a hard time while it strives to read its content. If you close the application and relaunch it a second later, it keeps throwing errors one after the other! The fastest way to get rid of the errors is to reinstall the software – say about 15-20 minutes. Most horribly is that all your records will be removed as soon as you uninstall the software! If you are determined enough to survive the uninstall/reinstalling process, you will see a plethora of issues with the application itself!
- As mentioned above, this silly software doesn’t know how to count and thus makes mistakes when reporting the percentage of correct answers!
- In the middle of the listening sections of two of the tests, the question doesn’t show up and you’ll be stuck in that question even though the allotted time is not-so-peacefully running!
- On this interactive application, 60 minutes is allotted for the listening sections. Based on my experience, this is not what happens in a real TOEFL test: in a real test, the total time of the entire listening part is divided into shorter periods for a certain number of listening tasks (about 3).
- The passage and the lecture do not match for the integrated writing task of one of the tests.
In the end, I believe the development team of the software is to blame the most and of course must be responsible for the poor quality of this product. I mean, at least for god’s sake, run the application twice on your computer before commercializing it!! Here is a warning for Mac lovers: the terrible experience I explained above was on a Windows machine, I feel you guys should maintain a much higher level of dignity as ETS is notorious for making Mac-unfriendly applications.
Update: I’d previously installed the software on a Windows 7 Home premium. I tried a different windows machine with Windows 7 Enterprise, and it, in fact, worked smoothly without throwing any errors (#3 issue mentioned above), but the rest issues still hold. So now that the software is at least functional in some way, it’d be fair to increase my previous 2-star rating by one star!