Oxford Picture Dictionary (pdf + Audio)
The Oxford Picture Dictionary Third Edition provides unparalleled support for vocabulary teaching and language development.
- Illustrations present over 4,000 English words and phrases within meaningful, real-life contexts.
- New and expanded topics including job search, career planning, and digital literacy prepare students to meet the requirements of their daily lives.
- Updated activities prepare students for work, academic study, and citizenship.
- Oxford 3000 vocabulary ensures students learn the most useful and important words
Content is organized within 12 thematic units, from Everyday Language, to People, to Housing, to Food, to Recreation.
Each unit starts with an ‘Intro’ page (new for this edition) and ends with a story page, with single or double-page sub-topics introducing new words in a realistic visual context and easy-to-learn ‘chunks’.
The target new vocabulary is listed, and simple practice activities help students to put their new words into practice.
Story pages include pre-reading questions to build previewing and predicting skills, and post-reading questions and role-play activities to support critical thinking and to encourage students to use the new language they have learned. Rich visual contexts recycle words from the unit.
This structure is designed to address the needs of multilevel classrooms, with much more guidance on this and on assessing needs and lesson-planning given in the supporting components.
Picture Dictionary Book Feaures
- Clear, vibrant illustrations define over 4,000 words and phrases.
- 13 bilingual editions with complete second language indexes now including new Farsi and Urdu editions.
- Practice activities enable students to immediately use the target vocabulary.
- Sub-topics organize words into logical groupings, making the new edition easier to navigate through.
- New Intro pages, Story pages, and More Verbs and Phrases sections help learners improve their vocabulary as well as reading, critical thinking, and speaking skills.
- A wealth of extra resources means teachers can use the Oxford Picture Dictionary as a fully integrated course. The full package includes lesson plans, classroom activities, workbooks, audio programme, overhead transparencies, vocabulary teaching handbook, bilingual family handbook, test software, and a companion website. A new dedicated Reading Library and Interactive CD-ROM are also available.