Shorter Oxford English Dictionary 2.0 contains simple definitions for all the words you need every day. Increase your confidence in English with extra spelling and punctuation help.
Shorter Oxford English Dictionary 2.0
This fully updated edition offers over 120,000 words, phrases, and definitions. It covers all the words you need for everyday use, carefully selected from the evidence of the Oxford English Corpus, a databank of 21st century English, containing over 2 billion words. The Factfinder centre section gives quick-reference entries on topics including famous people, countries, and science.
- We don’t know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- More than 83 000 illustrative quotations from 7 000 authors.
- Includes all words used in general English since 1700.
- Information about many rare and obsolete words.
- Automatic look-up feature enables fast access to SOED headwords.
- Hypertext search makes if possible to cross-reference words.
- Option to install the CD-ROM contents to the hard disk.
This CD-ROM version of the newly updated edition of The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary enables users to perform fast and comprehensive searches of more than half a million definitions, augmented with thousands of new words and meanings.
Furnished with a new design, this electronic version of the Shorter OED provides extensive coverage of world English as well as comprehensive coverage of scientific and technical English.
Advanced search options allow users to carry out flexible searches for headwords, abbreviations, derivatives, phrases, references, and other words forms, or to filter searches by part of speech, label, or date. Other features include:
- 83,000 illustrative quotations from 7,000 authors.
- Entries with meanings listed chronologically and dates for first use of each.
- All major words in English used after 1700, as well as the vocabulary of Shakespeare, Milton, Spenser, and the King James Bible.
- Details of rare and obsolete words With an easy-to-use interface and clear functionality, The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary CD-ROM is the ideal reference.