World Pass Advanced is going to help you expand your fluency, World Pass focuses on dynamic vocabulary building, essential grammar, and stimulating listening, speaking, reading, and writing activities that emphasize the language they need for real-world communication.
World Pass Advanced Course
The main goal of this two-level, upper-intermediate/advanced-level series is to help you increase your fluency in English. By fluency, I mean the ability to say what you want in more than one way, and to communicate your ideas clearly, confidently, and easily.
To help students increase their fluency, World Pass focuses on dynamic vocabulary building, essential grammar, and stimulating listening, speaking, and writing activities that emphasize the language people need for real-world communication. Features of World Pass that emphasize the development of oral and written fluency include the following:
- Vocabulary Focus sections. A Vocabulary Focus section opens each of the 12 main units and presents topic-related vocabulary along with opportunities to practice using the new words and expressions in a variety of ways. The section includes a “Vocabulary Builder” activity that helps you expand your vocabulary through the use of a particular vocabulary-building tool (e.g., word families, root words, or compound nouns). Many of the Vocabulary Focus sections conclude with an “Ask & Answer” task that can he used as a basis for discussion by pairs, groups, or whole classes of students, and provides opportunities to actively use new vocabulary to express personal ideas, opinions, and experiences.
- Listening sections. To become a fluent speaker, you need to be a fluent listener. These sections provide opportunities for you to improve your listening comprehension through active practice with a variety of materials, such as interviews, news reports, and discussions. For added conversational fluency practice, each Listening section ends with an “Ask & Answer” discussion task.
- Language Focus sections. These sections focus on essential grammar points and provide opportunities for fluency practice through a wide variety of activity types, from more controlled exercises to more personalized, free-response type activities and open-ended communication tasks such as role plays or interviews.
- Speaking sections. Each of these sections presents a specific speaking skill or strategy and outlines a communicative activity that helps you to develop your fluency by providing opportunities for you to use new language and vocabulary items in a natural way.
- Writing sections. Each of these sections in World Pass provides instruction and practice with different kinds of writing such as business and personal letters, summarizing information, and persuasive writing.
- Communication sections. The Communication sections that conclude each main unit consolidate and review the language material presented in the unit. Communication tasks vary widely and contribute to the development of fluency by focusing on meaningful speaking practice in activities such as games, presentations, interviews, and discussions.
- Expansion Pages. Each unit of World Pass is followed by Expansion Pages. The Expansion Pages are designed for students who want to learn additional vocabulary on their own and to have additional practice with the words and expressions presented in the units. Because the Expansion Pages are meant for self-study, they consist of exercises that you can do independently and then check your own answers.
- “Language Focus” sections highlight essential grammar points and provide opportunities for fluency practice through a wide variety of communicative activities.
- For added conversation fluency practice, each “Listening” section ends with an “Ask & Answer” discussion task.
- Each “Speaking” section presents a specific speaking skill or strategy and an open-ended communicative task to help expand fluency.
- The “Reading” and “Writing” sections provide instruction and practice with the types of tasks and skills that upper-level students need.
- Two Workbook formats! In addition to printed versions, the Workbooks are available online, offering auto-graded exercises and a learning management system that allows both teachers and learners to track progress.
What is new to this Edition
A “Vocabulary Builder” activity helps learners expand vocabulary through the use of particular vocabulary-building tools, such as learning to use word families, root words, or compound nouns.
The Contents of the Student Book
- Unit 1 Big Screen, Small Screen
- Unit 2 The World Awaits You
- Unit 3 School and Beyond
- Review: Units 1-3 38
- Unit 4 Contemporary Issues
- Unit 5 In Other Words
- Unit 6 Ordinary People, Extraordinary Lives
- Review: Units 4-6 76
- Unit 7 Who Are You?
- Unit 8 Happy Days
- Unit 9 Looking Good!
- Review: Units 7-9 114
- Unit 10 To Buy or Not to Buy …
- Unit 11 The Impact of Art
- Unit 12 Our Changing World
- Review: Units 10-12 152
- Language Summaries 154
- Grammar Summaries 160
- Skills Index
- Student Book Answer Key
- Expansion Pages Answer Key 168