Download Learn To Write Better Academic Essays PDF and improve your writing skills. Get a better score on your IELTS writing.
Learn To Write Better Academic Essays PDF
Collins Academic Skills Series: Writing will build on your existing writing skids to enable you to produce successful academic essays.
Designed to be used on a self-study basis to support English for Academic F imposes or study skills courses, it is intended for students on pre-sessional or Foundation courses as well as for first-year undergraduate students.
The book has eleven chapters which focus on helping you understand what is expected of you at university. It will help you with research, planning, organization, grammar, paraphrasing and much more. It will make you think about:
- The writing purpose (Chapter 1).
- The expectations of the academic reader (Chapters 2 and 4).
- Content and research (Chapters 3 and 6).
- Academic principles (Chapters 4, 5, 8 and 9).
- Language points (Chapters 3, 5, 7 and 10).
- The writing process from start to finish (Chapter 11).
At the back of the book you will find:
- Example essays: a short essay and a complete university essay, with comments on their strengths, weaknesses and differences.
- Advice on how to respond to marking criteria and assignment feedback.
- A glossary of key terms.
- A comprehensive answer key.
- Each chapter will probably take between three and four hours. Take regular breaks and do not try to study for too long. Thirty to sixty minutes is a sensible study period.
- Regular study is better than occasional intensive study.
- Read the chapter through first to get an overview without doing any exercises. This will help you see what you want to focus on. * Try the exercises before checking the Answer key. Be an active learner.
- When writing your own essays, refer back to the appropriate sections and exercises in the book. If possible, ask a more experienced writer to give you feedback on your essay drafts.
- All university departments are different. Use the information in the book as a guide to investigating your own university department.
- Read carefully any information you receive from your department about what and how to write.
- Don’t think of an essay as a finished product, but as a learning process. It is an opportunity to show that you can find out information about a subject, develop your own ideas about it, organize your thoughts and communicate your understanding to others. Don’t rush this process, but find out what works best for you. Adapt the suggestions in this book to suit your learning style and context.
- With practice, writing will become easier, and your confidence will grow so that you can show your tutors your true ability and potential. We wish you every success in your academic career.