Download Barron’s Essential Words for the IELTS (PDF+AUDIO)
Barron’s Essential Words for the IELTS will help familiarize you with the vocabula!y you will find on the reading and listening sections of the IELTS exam (International English Language Testing System). As the number of words, you understand when you are reading and listening increases, your speaking and writing vocabulary will improve as well.
Barron’s Essential Words for the IELTS
Vocabulary is not tested directly on the IELTS. There are no questions on the IELTS that ask specifically for the meaning of a word. However, comprehension is tested. Can you understand what you read? Can you understand what you hear? The more words you know, the more you will understand. The more words you know, the more fluently you will be able to speak and write. Essential Words for the IEL1S will teach you 600 words that you might find on the exam in reading and listening and that you might use in writing and speaking. You will also learn skills that will help you learn new words easily.
- Essential Words for the IEL1S will teach you how to use context clues. The context provides clues to the meaning of a word. These clues may be in the same sentence or in the same paragraph. You will learn to look for definitions, synonyms, or paraphrases within the text.
- Punctuation is another context clue. A definition or a synonym is often set apart by parentheses, commas, dashes, or a colon. You will learn to recognize these clues.
- Analyzing a word also helps you determine the meaning of a word. Compound words, prefixes, and suffixes are other context clues. You will learn to recognize common prefixes and suffixes and how words are joined together.
- If context clues cannot help you determine the meaning of a word, you can use a dictionary designed for learners of English. You will learn dictionary skills to help you choose the correct definition of a word.
- You will also learn about word fam111es. These are the different parts of speech-noun, verb, adjective, and adverb-that share a similar meaning. The book presents charts with example sentences for each part of speech. The word-family charts include the most common fonts as well as multiple forms.