TOEFL Primary Test is designed to measure early learners’ English communication skills and guide them to the next steps of learning.
The TOEFL Primary tests, part of the TOEFL® Family of Assessments developed by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), are the world’s leading standard in measuring Primary school students’ English proficiency, assisting schools and parents in selecting an appropriate learning pathway for students.
By becoming acquainted with these advanced international standards, students can not only compare their own English level with peers from all over the world, but also lay a solid foundation for future success.
The primary school level is the most important in terms of students’ acquisition of knowledge and critical thinking skills. In the case of language subjects such as English, determining the best age to begin learning and developing a suitable learning path for young students play critical roles in their journey to master this language.
TOEFL Primary Test Features
The Ministry of Education and Training has recognized the TOEFL Primary tests as the standard for assessing the English levels of primary students. The test results can also be converted into relevant proficiency levels in accordance with some countries’ Foreign Language Proficiency Framework and the Common European Framework of References for Languages (CEFR).
The test results are also used in the enrollment and placement of students in several Vietnam secondary schools.
- The ETS issues the TOEFL Primary Score Report, which is globally recognized.
- Through a level description, it provides detailed feedback on the student’s skills.
- It gives students advice on what they should do next to improve their English skills.
The Structure of The Test
Young students learn English at different times and in different ways, depending on school curricula and other factors. The TOEFL Primary® program includes three tests that assess a variety of skills.
- TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Test Step 1
- TOEFL Primary Reading and Listening Test Step 2
- TOEFL Primary Speaking Test
1. The Reading and Listening test Step 1
It is designed for students in the early stages of English learning and covers the following topics:
- familiar contexts.
- basic formulaic expressions.
- basic vocabulary and phrases.
- simple requests and directions.
- basic text relevant to everyday experiences.
2. The Reading and Listening test Step 2
It is designed for students who have some communicative English skills and covers the following topics:
- basic expressions.
- phrases and directions.
- simple short stories and conversations.
- unfamiliar words presented with context clues.
- simple content-based texts.
3. TOEFL Primary Speaking Test
The TOEFL Primary Speaking test is given at set times and is intended for students at all levels of English proficiency, from beginners to more proficient speakers. It is delivered digitally and includes the following topics:
- giving simple descriptions
- expressing basic emotions, feelings and opinions
- making simple requests
- asking questions
- giving directions
- explaining and sequencing simple events
The TOEFL Primary Speaking test has eight questions and test takers have 20 minutes to complete it.
TOEFL Primary Books
Here are some materials that you can use to prepare for the TOEFL primary test.