The Practice of English Language Teaching has become the essential guide for teachers of English. This third edition has been completely rewritten and updated to combine the best of traditional approaches with the latest developments in language teaching theory and methodology.
The Practice of English Language Teaching PDF
When the last editio of The Practice of English Language Teaching was being written some schools used computers for word processing, and there were a few language games and simulations available on floppy disks. But that was about it. In what seems like a ridiculously short space of time, however, all that has changed.
Computers are now, for teachers and students, the gateways to a wealth of information, contacts, and activities. The use of the Internet has mushroomed – indeed some countries have wired up their entire public education systems – and the technology for self study.
Such advances are only the most visible signs of progress in a profession which, thank goodness, refuses to stand still. The teaching of English is in a constant state of flux, with new theories, practices, and materials erupting all over the world on an almost daily basis. We are constantly challenged by new research.
provoked by the questioning of long-held beliefs, and amazed by the sheer brilliance and creativity of a diverse population of teachers, methodologists, materials designers – and, of course, students – from all over the globe. In a world where certain values are immutable, and where the qualities that make a good teacher may well be universal.
change is nevertheless the lifeblood of our profession. To quote David Crystal in another context, we know something is alive when we see it move!
A book about language teaching methodology has to change too, to take account of all this movement. Since the last edition of The Practice of English Language.
Teaching there have been many new areas of research and innovation.
The Practice of English Language Teaching offers:
- A comprehensive and up-to-date account of theories of language and of language teaching
- A wide range of practical teaching ideas, example lessons, and samples from current teaching materials
- A review of current issues, such as: computers and the Internet in language learning; Lexical, Task-based, and Humanistic approaches to teaching; the study of spoken, as well as written, grammar; the cultural implications of different methodologies
- New ideas in: the promotion of student autonomy; teacher development; the teaching of grammar and vocabulary; pronunciation and communicative skills teaching; the use of video in class; choosing and using coursebooks; lesson planning; the testing and evaluation of students.
- Sociological and psychological perspectives on language and language learning.
- Follow-up tasks for each chapter.
You can also check:
- The Practice of English Language Teaching 4th Edition
- The Practice of English Language Teaching 5th Edition